Hard Stuff

 It's been a long time since I last blogged.  A lot has changed.  Kid moved out.  I got divorced.  COVID-19.  Kid moved to Milwaukee.  Kid moved back.  Ex moved to next state over.

I have my own little house now, which is awesome.  It's half of a duplex with a garden large enough to entertain me, but small enough that it doesn't run my life.  I've got 4 cats, and Lois came with me when I moved out.  I'm looking at retirement in a little under 5 years and I'm pretty happy most of the time.

The hardest thing in my life right now is parents.  My mother is wheelchair bound and experiencing some dementia.  She is mercurial.  Sweetness and light one moment and so angry about anything and everything the next.  Kind of like a toddler when she doesn't get her way or is questioned about anything.  It's frustrating.

She is also a diabetic and has an ulcer on her big toe.  Months of doctor visits and it doesn't seem to be getting better. but it's also not getting worse.  Finally got her to agree to go to wound care to be evaluated and they set up twice weekly visits from home care to tend the wound.  Dad and I have both been changing her bandages and the doctor said it would be a bit before the home care would kick in, and we were to change the bandages ourselves until it did.  She would have none of that, so her bandage went unchanged for a week.  I was so relieved when home care showed up.  They'll be there twice a week and we'll need to change bandages ourselves once a week.  I hope she lets us do it.

It's gotten to the point (on bad days) that she doesn't trust anyone to help her except "the professionals".  Which brings us to next steps.  My dad is doing the best he can, but it's really wearing on him, both physically and emotionally.  A home (where she can be surrounded by professionals) seems the next logical step.  It may not be soon, but the day is coming.   We have talked to her doctor and gotten advice.   About to start the process of interviewing different homes and choosing one.  I have a couple of preferences.  In the meantime, we have Visiting Angels.  

This may be my venting place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother's Obsession Has Become Mine

Leaving the Nest

Alone in the Pew